Main Category : Administration Current Category :Departments
The department works with the mission to strive for enhancing productivity and total volume of quality production through an integrated approach for Infrastructure Development and Extension Services in rural areas, Capacity building of the Community, Private Institutions, Government Departments/Agencies, FMCs & other Self Help groups, NGOs. Application of modern technology by up gradation of research and development activities in the field of agriculture and horticulture, and by removing any bottlenecks for sustainable development.
The vision of the department is to achieve self-reliance and rural prosperity through adoption of scientific agricultural and allied practices of production of food grains and other crops thereby raising the quality of life of rural people of the district and thereby contributing to the growth of a vibrant, self-sustaining and surplus production.
The important objectives of the department at district level are the followings:
- Enhancement of economic up liftment with special thrust to landless, marginal and small farmers.
- Employment generation for rural people in the agricultural sector
- Enhancement of the per capita income to minimize the differences between rural and urban area. Improvement of nutritional standards for betterment of health.
- Discouragement to migration from rural to urban area thereby minimizing congestion & other associated problems in the society.
Functions At District Level
Implementation of policies and programmes taken up by the State Level Authority aimed at achieving rapid growth through optimum utilization of land, water, soil and plant resources of the state. Implementation of beneficiary oriented schemes for economic upliftment of farming community.
Establishing farmer-department co-ordination in implementing and providing technological know-how to the farming community through Extension Service. Undertaking all possible measures to ensure timely and adequate supply of input and services such as fertilizers, seeds, pesticides, agricultural implements etc.
Creating adequate irrigation facilities to farmers through minor irrigation schemes so as to obtain maximum return from their land. Popularizing the use of farmer's friendly bio-fertilizers. Motivating farmers to minimize the use of toxic pesticides and to control the environmental pollution with adoption of Integrated Pest Management.
Motivating farmers for diversification of area from traditional crops to commercial crops Monitoring soil health and testing of nutrient level of soil samples collected from farmers of the district. Undertaking measures to provide short term agricultural credit to poor farmers. Implementing Calamity (like flood, drought etc.) relief programmes.
A. Central Sector Schemes:
• Rastriya Krishi Vikash Yojana (RKVY)- Implemented for all round development of Agriculture and allied sectors for food security. Implemented from 2008-09.
• National Food Security Mission (NFSM, Rice)- Implemented for development of Rice cultivation. Morigaon is one of the thirteen districts where this scheme has been implemented from 2007-08
• Horticulture Mission for North East and Himalayan States (HMNEH)– Implemented for development of horticulture in the state implemented from 2001-02 as National Horticultural Mission, Mini Mission II, now renamed as HMNEH under which area expansion programmes are taken up for the thrust crops like Banana, Assam Lemon etc.
• Agricultural Technology Management Agency (ATMA)- Implemented for strengthening agricultural extension system through ATMA. Morigaon is one of the forteen districts where the CSS ATMA has been implemented since 2006-07.
• Macro Management Mode of Agriculture (MMMA)- Implemented for taking up various schemes identified to meet the requirement of the state. Implemented from the year 2000-2001.
B. State Plan Schemes:
• Jute Development scheme- Implemented for Development of cultivation and processing of jute.
• Sugarcane Development Scheme- Implemented for development of sugarcane cultivation and introduction of new varieties
• Assam Agricultural Competitiveness Project (Externally Aided Project): An World Bank assisted project for activities like farm mechanization, irrigation, market development etc.
• NAEP III- Implemented for distribution of inputs for cereal, pulse and oilseed crops.
• Seed Farm & Nursery- Implemented for development of seed farm and nurseries established under the department.
• Disaster Management Programme- Implemented for assistance for natural calamity affected farmers.
• Technology Mission- Special Jute Development Programme- Special programme for jute development.
• Agril. Mechanization – for distribution of tractors at subsidized rate.
- District Agricultural Officer (1 No.)
- Assistant Director of Agriculture (2 Nos.)
- Sub-Divisional Agricultural Officers (2 Nos.)
- Senior Agriculture Development Officers (4 Nos.)
- Agriculture Development Officers (12 Nos.)
- Agriculture Inspectors (5 Nos.)
- Statistical Officer (Agriculture) (1 No.)
- Assistant Agriculture Inspectors (18 Nos.)
- Sub-Inspector, Statistics (Agriculture) (1 No.)
- Village Level Extension Workers (86 Nos.)
- Statistical Assistants (2 Nos.)
- Ministerial Staff
- Senior Assistant (4 Nos.)
- Junior Assistant (3 Nos.)
- Drivers (3 Nos.); Grade –IV (7 Nos.); Mechanic (1 No.)
|Name:||Dr. A. K Pradhani|
|Designation:||District Agricultural Officer, Morigaon|